Brookstown United Methodist Church takes its name from the village of Brookstown. This village was named for an early landowner and was known a century and a half ago as Bruxetown. The year 1853 found Brookstown, a sparse settled community, badly in need of a church. Only by walking several miles to Sharon could citizens of the community worship with other Methodists. The family of Phillip Mock felt the need for a church located nearer and took steps to organize one.
The Mock home was located on the north side of highway No. 421 (which is now named Yadkinville Road) about three-fourths of a mile east of the present church. Mr. Mock chose the site by going from his home toward the river a little less than a mile, and there he stepped off an acre of his land on which to build the first Methodist Church in Brookstown. On July 9th, during the pastorate of Rev. James Needham, the building of the church was undertaken. Mr. Needam at this time served all of Forsyth Circuit. This circuit had been organized in 1849. A committee composed of Phillip Mock, John W. Doub and William Goslen was appointed to steer the work of building the church. It was a one-room building with backless benches for pews.
By 1910 the strength of the Charge had grown to the extent that one pastor now served only seven churches: Concord, Sharon, Union, Brookstown, Doubs, New Hope, and Lewisville. This Charge was called Lewisville. The same year the congregation of Brookstown decided the time had come to build a new church. A one-room frame church was built and the dedication of the second church was held in April 1914.
On Easter Monday 1937, a number of people in the community gathered at the church grounds and began the work of tearing down the old building. The plans for the new church to be brick veneer included a sanctuary and classrooms. The third church building was dedicated March 26, 1939 by Bishop Clare Purcell.
In 1957, a new education building was added including fellowship hall, kitchen and seven classrooms. A new Parsonage was begun in 1962 and Brookstown became a station church.
Finally in 2001 additional classrooms were added to complete Brookstown as it stands today.